Tuesday, 29 June 2010

Recording our 2nd album - Day 1!

Woah... it's been a while! 
so, since our last post we have been busy bees, the months of April, May and early June were pretty much engulfed with physics and photography degrees/exams, we only played one show in May and before that the last shows we played were on that short UK tour with Bangers in mid March! 
But... it's not like we've been doing nothing in between - we've been playing with some ideas for new songs since the end of last year and pretty much since January this year, we have been writing new songs with the intention putting them together as a full length album. 

We got about 12 new tunes together and pretty much completed before shit got physics crazy and demoed them live at our practice space in late April. This worked out well as it gave us time to sit on the songs and think about them while all the uni junk was happening throughout May/early June.
 From about the second week of June until last weekend we have been working on the songs we demoed (and some more new ones too) fucking with the structures and trying to get everything just where it needs to be. 

We started recording yesterday, we are back with Big Tim Hamil at Sonic One (the same place that we recorded the Blood, Sweat and Beers 10"s and LP.) we will be here for 6 days in total...

We Got here a little late yesterday because Miles was still in the shower when i went to pick him up and getting up early sucks. But once we got here we talked about what we want in terms of the sound of this record and the factors that we are into regarding the sound and feel of the live demos that we did in April. We talked with Big Tim about the big open drum sound and driving, dirty bass sound on records such as Nirvana's In Utero Weezer's Pinkerton. That was pretty much as far as we went, by the time we were recording Beers I think Tim started to understand us properly so it's not like we were talking about these things to someone that had never heard our music - we set up our stuff up and then started playing with the sound.

Once we got the drums and bass sounding cool we drank a shit load of coffee and then had lunch
we watched the fresh pots video on you tube a few times and then drank some more coffee
then we started recording bass and drums...
Mark from Above Them lent me his Sans Amp, thanks Mark!

It was about 3:30 by the time we started laying stuff down, in the past we have just rocked up and started recording pretty much as soon as everything is mic-ed up, but not this time - it was cool to take much more time over the sound before we started getting into it.

We made one of these so that we don't forget to do anything;
Oh yeah, this new record is going to be called, Dead Sea
We will explain later...

Once we got rolling it didn't take too long to get into the swing of things
By the time 7pm rolled around our sheet looked like this;
The day ends at 7 so then we had to go. 
we saw this guy on the way back home
All in all it was a pretty productive and positive first day.

more updates to follow tomorrow...

No comments: